When to drop to one Nap

My son is almost 11 months old. He has been fighting his afternoon nap, but takes a great and usually long (if I let him) morning nap. He goes to bed at 7pm, so if he’s not asleep around 3pm for his afternoon nap than its usually a wash if I want him down by 7pm. Is 11 months too early to transition to one nap? This has been going on for a while and he sleeps so great for his late morning nap, it makes me wonder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have a daughter who is just about to turn 2 and has a 7pm bedtime as well! We still bounce back and forth between 1 and 2 naps. I always think when they are tired just let them sleep - whether it is early in the AM or in the afternoon or both. If they have a lot going on one day they might be more tired vs. a day where we just hang out at home. I still always offer the afternoon nap even if she doesn’t seem tired. Sometimes it is nice for her to just have some “quiet time” in her room. And for us as parents to have a couple minutes to our self too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Karly-French Thanks for asking such a great question - hope you will get lots of replies - I think in many cases - your son will let you know what he needs. Some days, the extra nap may happen all on it’s own and others he may be just fine without it - let us know how it goes.
Welcome to the site. Patti

@KatCahalan Hello Kat, sounds like a great way to do it - wish it was that easy for adults to just nap when we needed it - lol. I think some flexibility helps - especially when something pops up or if you are away from the home at traditional “nap” time - then your little one won’t be as affected - they have already learned to adjust to changes. Hope to hear more from you on this site.
Welcome aboard
Patti

1 Like